So this post is for all the newbies in the new DS106 class or those of you that joined of your own free will. During the course of the semester, these are some things that I learned/ thought everyone would like to know:
- Just because you aren’t very artistic does NOT mean you won’t like/do well in this course – I am pretty terrible with art, but I did well and enjoyed the class
- Don’t stress out – a good rule of thumb for anything
- USE the resourced provided to you – this one may seem like a no brainer but there are probably people that didn’t use them and should have. They make the course a little easier and have useful tips!
- Don’t wait until the end of the week to do everything – while this is possible to do, you can imagine it would be easier to spread things out a bit (it also results in less stress for you later)
- Have fun! Think outside the box when it comes to the assignments – you have pretty free reign in terms of interpreting the assignments, especially ones from the assignment bank
- When you’re using something that you never have before, try and take some time to learn the program so you can hone your skills a little – I didn’t do this and I think that it would’ve made some of my final products a little better
- Don’t be afraid to be a little cheesy – sometimes it’s really fun
- Embrace the theme! Whatever it is, it’s important throughout the semester, so embrace it, even if you aren’t a fan of it.
- Have some fun – a cheesy, but necessary piece of advice. I believe this class can easily be your favorite if you just have fun with it!
Good luck future DS106ers!